Monday, February 25, 2013

Finishing Undergrad (...Delayed Post...)


It’s been a while since I have blogged. Well I am now starting with post graduate studies, but I think I will put info about that in my next post. I was unable to publish an earlier post (which I was supposed to have posted last year :( ), but I still have bits and pieces of it below: 

Alas, this is my final year as a degree level student in Fiji! Three years have just flown by and frankly I find it difficult to imagine what life is going to be like once I finish my exams (and that is like a month from now!). This is in fact the final week of classes, and we are soon to start attachments at big firms and companies, to have a guarantee for jobs. (I was able to get an attachment with a really good firm, and I had a wonderful experience working.) 

I am feeling the pressure of being a final year student with so many intensive assignments due at the same time, and having to ration time out between family commitment and studying. Anyways.....

So, what has three years been like, as a tertiary (undergrad) student in a small country like Fiji? The three years were interesting enough: getting to know people and making friends, struggling with assignments (long long essays), studying for subjects I had never even thought existed, running around with cameras, lights and the likes, sitting in front of the PC and gradually losing my eyesight... It was pretty exciting. Maybe at times, it got a bit strenuous. But still enjoyable.

High school life had seemed so safe. Everything was done for you, teachers wrote notes for you on the blackboard, knew you by name,told you what was best for you. Varsity life has been so different. Lecturers who were teaching classes of 60 students did not need to remember names, instead you are known by your student ID numbers. They do not spoon-feed you, but drive you to go out into the field and actually do something.  It was like being thrown into the deep end, but at the same time it was something to look forward to. So many good things came out of it. I learned to initiate contact with strangers and become internet-savvy, something which a typical high school in a developing country rarely offers to female students, as opposed to high schools in first world countries. I learned to use research databases at varsity, (which we do not really have access to in high school) and to this day I feel I stumbled upon a treasure chest the day I discovered these amazing sites.

My three years at university have been all in all a wonderful experience. I hope that when I continue academia, and pursue further studies, I will enjoy it just as much.


No comments:

Post a Comment